Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Kendal Mountain Festival 2012

Having attended the Kendal Mountain Festival many times before, it was really exciting to be coming to the UK's leading adventure sports event as a film maker.

 It was such a privilege to be showing my film 'Gino's Greenland' on the same billing as Justine Curgenven's 'Tierra Del Fuego' film and 'Hanuman Airlines'.  'Hanuman Airlines' tells the story of Sanu Babu Sunawar and his amazing journey from the summit of Mount Everest to the Indian Ocean.

It was truly nerve racking to be introducing my film to a cinema packed full of people. I felt so proud to see my images of Greenland on the big screen and to feel the reaction of the audience during key moments of the story.

Its times like this that make all of the hard work worth while. From the planning of the expedition, preparing kit, the filming and endless editing. I don't mind admitting that I felt like giving up during the final stages of production of 'Gino's Greenland'. However, my experience as a film maker at the Kendal Mountain Festival has made it all worth while. Its a great festival run by loads of enthusiastic, friendly and encouraging people. If you have never been before, put it in your diary for next year.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the paddlers who were on the expedition with me.  Chris, John, Jules, Dave, Stephanie, Martin and Kirstine not only put up with my filming but took their own special parts in the story. Thanks also to Lucy Martin from the Scott Polar Research Institute for the use of Gino Watkins images. The story would be nothing without them. Finally, thanks to Henry Iddon and to Kirstine whose encouragement got me through those difficult final stages of the production. 

No comments: